The Uptowner at 438 Henry Clay Avenue was built in 1896 by Louis Seiler who operated a grocery store on the 1st floor of the building and lived with his family on the 2nd floor. His mercantile business serviced sea-bound vessels on the Mississippi river. In 1920, the business converted into a pharmacy and operated as such until 1939 when it changed into a Beauty Salon. The Beauty shop operated there until 1949. That year Esther`s confectionary store opened and sold all sorts of candies to the general public until 1958. The “Electric House” began selling Air Conditioner Units soon after the sweet shop closed. The A/C business converted into The Uptowner Banquet Hall around 1962. Ms. Edith Brown ran the business for 40 years. She began it by planning all sorts of banquet celebrations for guest of up to 250 people or as small as a party of 2. All of her parties included preparing and serving delicious food and local cocktail concoctions. Greg and Mary Sonnier of Gabrielle Restaurant fame carry on the business of “The Uptowner Banquet Hall”.